Trump administration bids for $916 billion COVID-19 relief package
In an attempt to boost economic recovery, the Trump administration on Tuesday presented a $916 billion coronavirus relief package. This new proposal came after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s proposal for a pared-down was denied by the congressional Democrats.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Twitter he introduced the administration’s $916 billion coronavirus relief plan in a conversation with House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi who is a Democrat. McConnell furthered lawmakers should pass a targeted coronavirus relief plan that did not include the liability protections or the state and local government aid.
However, Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer rejected McConnell’s idea and accused him of trying to impede bipartisan efforts to come up with a deal. Pelosi and Schumer said it was progress that McConnell had signed off on the $916 billion offer, but bipartisan talks were the best hope for a solution.
Earlier this year, lawmakers legislated a COVID-19 relief plan worth $3 trillion but they have not been able to agree on a new package since April. Both House and Senate leaders vowed to approve a new package before this year ends.