Trump slashes WHO funds for pandemic, global death rate increases
U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday reduced the World Health Organization’s funds allocated to the novel coronavirus pandemic. Trump’s decision drew criticism from experts as the global death rate continued to increase.
Trump’s emergency measures aimed at minimizing the spread of the virus had been consistently assailed. This has angered the president as he aimed his hostility against the WHO.
According to Trump, the Geneva-based organization perpetuated China’s attempt to disseminate disinformation about the COVID-19. The negligence enabled the virus to reach wider scale which could have been prevented.
“The WHO failed in this basic duty and must be held accountable,” Trump told a White House news conference on Tuesday. However, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that it was not the right time to reduce funds.
The United States still holds the record as the biggest donor to the WHO with its previous donation ranging up to more than $400 million in 2019. This is equivalent to a total of 15% contribution to the organization’s overall funding.